Here’s a Christmas cake recipe which does not conform to the tradition, however this version makes use of the Italian spirit of the Mediterranean.
Ingredients to make Malfy Gin Lemon Cake:
- 50ml Malfy Con Limone Gin
- 225 grams soft butter (plus extra for greasing)
- 300 grams caster sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 350 grams plain flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 250 grams plain fat-free yoghurt
- 1 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 2 lemons (Juice of 1 and zest of two)
To make Malfy Gin Lemon Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter your bundt tin (or small cake tin) very, very thoroughly to ensure the cake does not stick.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking each one in with a tablespoon of flour. Fold in the rest of the flour, the bicarbonate of soda, the yogurt, zest of two lemons and the juice of one lemon, and vanilla bean paste.
- Spoon the mixture into your greased tin, spreading evenly. Cook for approximately 45–50 minutes or until well risen and golden. After 45 minutes, insert a skewer into the centre of the cake – if it comes out clean, the cake is ready. Poke a few holes in the cake and brush with a little gin. Cool slightly, tip onto a wire rack and brush with more gin (I used about 20ml of the entire brushing part). Leave to cool.
- Decorate the cake with a *runny icing by drizzling it over the cake, or dust the cooled cake with icing sugar or alternatively stick some Christmas decorations to the top and sides of the cake.
To make Drizzle Icing:
- 225g icing sugar (sifted)
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- Food colouring (optional)
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Add a few drops of lemon juice. Using a wooden spoon, gradually stir in enough lemon juice until the mixture is the consistency of thick cream. Beat until white and smooth and thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Mix in some light yellow colouring, if you like, and use immediately.
It was most definitely a “team effort” in the making & styling of the gin cake! Thanks to the incredible ladies at Guvon Academy – just love working so closely with you. #colab